Saturday 13 December 2008

Interdependence

"Interdependence is a higher value than independence."

"... dependence is the paradigm of you - you take care of me; you come through for me; you didn't come through; I blame you for the results.

Independence is the paradigm of I - I can do it; I am responsible; I am self-reliant; I can choose.

Interdependence is the paradigm of we - we can do it; we can cooperate; we can combine our talents and abilities and create something greater together..."


(Source: 'The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People' by Stephen R Convoy)

Just finished (skim-) reading through the opening, introductory chapters of the above-mentioned book. It's been pretty disappointingly dull so far except for the above two passages which really grabbed me by the scruff of the neck. "If you want something done, do it yourself" is a philosophy I dislike but find myself trapped by. Let's hope this book can provide some useful tips to break free.

No comments: