Saturday 17 September 2011

Film Review: Persepolis

On my way home from Cambridge last night I came across this quote in 'emel' magazine: "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." (Attributed to Aristotle) And it was with that that I put on Persepolis which aired on Channel 4 a couple weeks back and which I had saved on my digital box. Whilst it very bluntly portrays the Islamic leadership of Iran, its followers and religionists in general as backward, culture-less beings, and whilst I sat there remembering the unquestionable negative Western coverage of the Iranian elections a year or so back, I couldn't help think a trip to Iran in the near future should be scheduled! I'm not so sure how welcome I would be but the only way to verify the state of a country is to visit it 🙌 Anyway, putting those negatives aside if you can, it was a good movie from an artistic perspective and a nice coming-of-age story following a girl growing from childhood, innocence & ambition on to adolescence, mistakes & despair and finally on to adulthood & maturity.

No comments: