Saturday 26 January 2008

Anniversary of the Ironic Tooth

A year ago almost exactly, on the verge of completing preparations for a sermon about patience, I had my front tooth knocked out completely.

A year on, just moments ago, having completed my weekly Hadith discussion with my younger cousins (may Allah make them grow to be strong pious Muslims) and whilst play-fighting, guess what?

Guessed? If not, read the latter part of the Hadith we covered in our discussion and it will become oh so clear (like the gap in my mouth):

"A strong believer is better and dearer to Allah than a weak one, and both are good. Adhere to that which is beneficial for you. Keep asking Allah for help and do not refrain from it. If you are afflicted in any way, do not say: 'If I had taken this or that step, it would have resulted into such and such', but say only: 'Allah so determined and did as He willed'. The word 'if' opens the gates of satanic thoughts."

Indeed, Allah decreed my front tooth (rather, the denture that is my front tooth) to break into two pieces and so it happened, wallahu akbar wa a3Dham.

3 comments:

adil said...

I missed the technician at the dental surgery this morning by just two minutes. It seems I am destined to spend this week with one front tooth missing, and all Praise is due to Allah, Lord of all that exists.

Unknown said...

Bruv, its a miner set back, but i feel for you, the worst thing is the time and money wasted making all the trips to the dentist. I remember having my interviews with a gap in my teeth following a guillotine choke...
Alhamdulilah i've had no problems ever since.
Be patient son.

adil said...

lol. Alhumdulillah it wasn't too bad in the end; the denture was back in within a week and since it was a repair, albeit for the second time, the treatment was free of charge.

Lessons learnt:
(1) Do not underestimate your opponent, however young, small and cute.
(2) Always fight wearing a gumshield.
(3) Be grateful for what you have before it is too late and gone.